Our clinic specializes in most powerful therapy programmes for CP patients. These programmes are based on highly effective and world renowned Intensive Suit Therapy (a.k.a TheraSuit Method, or Adeli Method), complemented by Speech Language Pathology, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Acupuncture, Massage, and Occupational therapy.
Cerebral palsy usually occurs before birth while the immature brain is still developing and may result in a wide variety of different muscle tone, movement and posture disorders, as well as affecting a person’s neurological and intellectual abilities.
The condition may first be noticed during infancy with the young patient showing some or all of the following symptoms:
- Floppy or rigid limbs or trunk
- Exaggerated drooling
- Sucking or eating difficulties
- Swallowing problems
- Delayed speech development and/or speaking difficulties
- Difficulties with picking up a spoon or crayon and other precise motor skills
- Other delays in achieving the usual developmental milestones, such as pushing up with the arms, sitting up, or crawling.
- Other coordination and movement and coordination symptoms closely associated with cerebral palsy include:
- Involuntary movementsand tremors
- Athetosis (writhing, slow motion movements)
- Spasticity (exaggerated or stiff reflexes)
- Unsteadiness and other difficulties when walking such as walking on tip-toes, wide gait or scissor like movement with crossed knees
- Abnormal posture
- Rigidity (stiff limbs and trunk due to variations in muscle tone)
- Imbalanced eye muscles
- Overall reduced range of joint motion
- One side of the body functioning more effectively than the other – for example one leg drags when crawling, or favouring one hand and arm to reach for objects
These types of movement or coordination symptoms that are caused by cerebral palsy brain disorders do not normally change over time. However, without aggressive treatment protocols the muscles of people with cerebral palsy may shorten or become more rigid which can further impair movement and coordination abilities.
Functional ability in people with cerebral palsy varies greatly and depends on the degree of underlying brain disorder. Some people can walk and may have normal or very little intellectual disability. Others may be affected with neurological problems including:
- Epilepsy (seizures)
- Impaired intellectual function
- Psychiatric conditions and mental disorders
- Abnormal pain and/or touch perception
- Propensity to oral disease
If you are concerned about your child’s development or have any questions concerning your child’s movement, coordination or muscle tone it is wise to consult a doctor for an early diagnosis and to set up a treatment protocol to help improve your child’s quality of life.
Please contact us to find out more about our specialized therapy programmes for CP patients. At the core of these programmes is highly effective and world renowned Intensive Suit Therapy (a.k.a TheraSuit Method, or Adeli Method), complemented by Speech Language Pathology, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Acupuncture, Massage, and Occupational therapy.